Hi there. Today, I’d like to discuss my Olloclip Active Lens Set review. I’ll also leave a video at the end of this article. This review is for the lens set that fits the iPhone 7 Plus.
In today’s world more and more people are relying on their cell phones to capture those special moments. A lot of people do not even own a real camera anymore. Cell phones are usually just an arm’s length away. It’s so easy to just pop out those cell phones and push that shutter button.
Let’s talk about a way to make those quick shots even better. Most of us aren’t professional photographers, but more and more of us are becoming what I like to call jam up cell phone-ographers!! 😉
What Is The Olloclip Active Lens Set?
This is a camera lens set that fits right over the top of your cell phone to cover the front and rear camera lenses on your phone, to enhance your field of view beyond your iPhone’s camera capabilities, from panoramic landscapes to stunning portraits to group selfies.
I do own this lens set, so I can certainly vouch for the veracity of this statement. I will get into more detail as we go through this article.
The first place I checked prices on the Olloclip, was from the direct source. But, I did find it at a much lower price. I purchased mine at about 50% of their price. I’ll leave you several links to where I purchased mine.
What Is In The Box?
In the Active Lens Set, you get the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus clip, pendant stand for both phones, a telephoto lens, an ultra-wide lens, a microfiber cloth, and a blanking Base. Keep in mind that you get the iPhone 7 set and the iPhone 7 Plus set in this box.
The assembly is extremely easy and goes on the phone without a hitch. Trust me, if I can work this lens, anyone can.
I would recommend extreme caution when placing the clip on the top of your iPhone. Be sure that the lens on your camera is clean and dust free at all times. That way, when you are placing the clip over the lens, you don’t scratch the lens glass on your phone.
How Does Each Lens Work?
The Ultra-wide lens gives you a field of view of 155 degrees. It truly does open your camera up to give your photo more of a panoramic view. In a small area, it does tend to fisheye. That can usually be corrected within your camera app. But in a larger landscape view, it does a beautiful job. For instance, at a ball game, it will pick up a lot more of the field than your camera does with this lens. At a school program, you should easily be able to pick up the whole Stage. Oh and don’t forget, you can have a much larger group in your group selfies. 🙂
The Telephoto lens is an Advanced 2X Optical zoom lens. It will bring you closer to your subject. It aids in capturing those beautiful portraits with great clarity and a more shallow depth of field. I absolutely love the Telephoto lens. I would purchase this set if it only came with this one lens.
Something that I would add about the Telephoto lens. I have found that it works better if I will switch my camera from the iPhone 7 Plus to a camera app. I personally use the camera +2 app. But, I’m sure that you can find plenty of free camera apps. I just prefer the camera +2 because of the Slow Shutter Speed. But all of that for another article. I will add that I only paid around $3.00 for the Camera +2 app for my phone at the app store.
Cons & Pros
Cons – bad news first
- You will not be able to use your iPhone cover. I found that the lenses wouldn’t fit over my phone cover. Apple is recommending that you use an iPhone Skin. They do work with the skin.
- To me, it is a little top-heavy. But it is still lighter than carrying a big camera.
- It will never take the place of having a nice camera for those very special occasions.
- I read the reviews and so many people gave it a bad review. But from what I can tell, most of those bad reviews are from people applying only one of the lenses. I believe it is better to always have both lenses in the clip and placed over the top of the camera over the front and rear camera lens. So, personally, I would have given it a much higher star rating.
Pros – save the best for last!!
- I love the photo clarity
- Ease of use
- I love that you can open the pendant stand to use it for a camera holder!! Great for making videos that the videographer can be a part of.
- Ease of switching from the Telephoto Lens to the Ultra Wide Lens.
- Each lens is made from high-quality glass
- Definitely improves the quality of your photos
- Lightweight. I may not always want to carry my heavy camera. But, without fail, I always have my cell phone. Thanks to this amazing lens set, I can always take great photos.
I would definitely give this lens set a 4 Star Rating. I will take off 1 Star because of the fisheye effect on close pictures while using the ultra-wide lens.
I learned many years ago that the secret in great photography does not always strictly depend on the camera itself. The lens plays a huge role. You can take a great lens and attach it to a cheap camera and still get great photos.
On the other hand, you can take a trashy lens and attach it to an amazing camera, and you still get cheap looking pictures, so that says a lot about the lens.
Honestly, this lens set cannot compare to a great camera and lens set. But for a cell phone, this is a great little lens set for the money. I do own this lens set and I love it. I love the quality of the set and the quality of the pictures that it gives me. I would recommend this lens set to anyone who loves taking pictures with their cell phone.
Please click on the link, (the picture of the iPhone with the lens on it) for more information.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them in the comment section below. I love hearing from you guys!!
All the best,